Pedometer part II – our own, Micro:bit design

So, what challenges did you come across today?
How did you solve them?
Does your programming now work accurately enough?
Where will you attach your Micro:bit to your body and how will you do this?
How will you make it look attractive?

Extension –

Is there a way to store a daily total and a cumulative total? ( I don’t know!)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by nic schofield. Bookmark the permalink.

About nic schofield

I’m a primary schools computing technician, interested in teaching children, their teachers & their parents, about IoT, computational thinking and implications of technology on their lives and encouraging children to think critically about technology to influence change in the world.

10 thoughts on “Pedometer part II – our own, Micro:bit design

1. The Wildfowl and Wetland Trust is concerned about Whitefronted Geese and wants to analyse their behaviour. It has fitted some with their own fitbit or micro:bit for birds containing an accelerometer and fine tuned it to the birds movements.
    While it can count the number of steps a goose takes, it does much more. It can tell from the birds movements how it is grazing – whether it is grazing the surface or digging down deeper. It shows us when the goose is alert with its head up and can tell when she is at the nest and how long her incubation lasts.

2. I think my coding is okay, but I think it could be better. I reminded myself in the night to blog or else I could not be in Code Club, so at this time of night (not that late) I lethargically plodded down the stairs and messaged. *-*

3. I think putting masking tape on your legs hurt :I Especially if you have hair on your legs. I’d suggest tucking the external battery in your sock and put the very least amount of masking tape on your leg to minimise your leg agony. 😉

4. through the week I’ve been slowly putting coats of copper paint on mine and tobys box but I forgot to take the flaps out so they wouldn’t stick so now we will have to cut or get rid of the paint to open the box

5. I’m going to get to work soon! I m going to make some sort of case out of fabric or plastic.

6. Lizzie and I came across the problem that it doesn’t really work that well on the hip if you program it to do tilt right/left or shake. So we decided to put it on our ankle and add two every time we took a step so our microbit is pretty accurate

7. I was thinking for the design part of the pedometer you could make them all have unique faces. You could then add fluff and pipe cleaners to make them more cute and fun. I also thought about having a strap to attach it to your body in someway.