Code Club Summer Term

Thanks to all of you who applied below, or on the Robo Blog – hopefully you have received an invitation to join Code Club! I’m looking forward to our first meet up this week. I think that Tim, Jon & Linda will be helping us out this term and hopefully Mr Hovell will make a few appearances too!

Since we are going to be creating with the Micro:bit, we will need to understand sensors:

• What are they?
  • What can they do?
  • Which sensors are available on the Micro:bit?
  • Which sensors do most smartphones now have included?
  • How could you use these sensors, together with coding and WiFi, to develop an app or a gadget?

Any ideas?

Extra: If you want to learn more about sensors, click on the Summer Sensology tab on the blog home page.

This entry was posted in Summer Sensology! by nic schofield. Bookmark the permalink.

About nic schofield

I’m a primary schools computing technician, interested in teaching children, their teachers & their parents, about IoT, computational thinking and implications of technology on their lives and encouraging children to think critically about technology to influence change in the world.

12 thoughts on “Code Club Summer Term

• Oh well done, Katie! Does that include cricket?

1. Sensors are used in smartphones for a camera and fingerprint sensors and apps like snapchat and vr and facial ID.

2. What are they?
    they are programed to do things as simple as turning a light on to a whole light show!
    What can they do?
    they are programmed with an app and led lights turn on and lots of other things can be done as well
    Which sensors are available on the Micro:bit?
    touch sound andmovement
    Which sensors do most smartphones now have included?
    touch and sound(for siri)
    How could you use these sensors, together with coding and WiFi, to develop an app or a gadget?
    im not sure

3. 1. Sensors are something that senses (an ability to understand, recognize, value, or react to something, especially any of the five physical abilities to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel) something else.
    2. Sense (an ability to understand, recognize, value, or react to something, especially any of the five physical abilities to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel) something.
    3. On a micro:bit, its senses are: Speaker (hearing), Buttons (touch).

4. Sensors are things that can sense light, motion, objects e.t.c. You can connect sensors to Microbits via the inputs and outputs. Light sensors, touch sensors and sound sensors. You could program an app to do pretty much anything with sensors!

5. Not in school I am working on somethings like competing in coding competitions.I like using micro;bits. I have used micro:bits to make a buggy which uses sensors to stop the buggy from crashing.

6. 1) A sensor is a piece of tech which detects or senses a certain happening
    2) They can sense colours, motion, sound and much more
    3) A motion sensor and a radio wave sensor
    4) A fingerprint sensor and facial recognition sensor

7. I can’t wait to see Tim, Jon & Linda again and I’ve never programmed a microbit before so that will be fun. Sensors can detect all kinds of things including: motion, sound and fingerprints.

8. A sensor is something that is set to detect something and when it detects that thing the object it is connected to can perform a chosen programme if it is coded too.