“Time Travel” & Sway

At our next session (but you can get a headstart if you’re reading this!), I’d like you to use lots of different resources to investigate the future of travel, and then to present your research using a software we haven’t tested before – Microsoft Sway (I think you’ll like it!).

Please have a think about how transport & the way we travel may change in the next few years due to:

• new technology
  • the internet of things

Here are some resources you may want to check out:

Then make a presentation of your findings using Sway (you will have to create an account first) and try to explore and use all the different options in Sway. You are testing this program to see if we should use it in school so may need to show your presentation/ feedback in assembly. You can work alone or in pairs.

Some additional resources I found which may be of particular interest to a couple of you (ahem, Ollie, Shahzeb) but not necessarily for this project:

This entry was posted in Learning projects by nic schofield. Bookmark the permalink.

About nic schofield

I’m a primary schools computing technician, interested in teaching children, their teachers & their parents, about IoT, computational thinking and implications of technology on their lives and encouraging children to think critically about technology to influence change in the world.

19 thoughts on ““Time Travel” & Sway

1. I found the article interesting because you wake up there is a notification on your phone saying the train you usually take is delayed. Some people have made software that uses cameras like ones in mobile phones to give vehicles vision to detect objects.

2. I think this is awesome.!! It is very intresting. The Ann poster is really intresting, in particular, how she can turn on the house heating from her car. I have learnt a lot from it. I would really like to do the same!! I have learnt a lot from this poster, including, how impressive techy stuff is!! I when I read this poster, I had one question. What’s a plug – in – hybrid – car? ANSWER: A car that runs on petrol and electricity.

• That was a very good question, Matthew – I wonder how many of the others knew the answer to that? Well done for asking 🙂

3. There is a boat called the Vindship that is run by strong sea and wind but when there isn’t any wind it is powered by liquefied natural gas so that the ship doesn’t get stranded in the middle of the sea. They are still are trying to make it better. If the Vindship works it could be the most fuel-efficient ship of it’s size in the world. They are hoping to make all the ships to connect with each other so that they now that all the ships are on root. The tech has cut down the bill to 60% because of what it is run on.

4. In the magazine i found that a car can drive underwater .The price of it was a wopping £1.2 MILLION ! It has lithium ion batteries and can reach up to speeds of 120km (75 miles) per hour by using power propellers and water jets.Also it doesn’t produce any carbon emissions either.

5. after reading the poster about I thought how cool it would be to be able to open your car door with your phone but what if someone stole your phone then they would gain acsess to your car aswell.

6. engineers have made and energy efficient boats with a futuristic design called the Vindship. Named “the future of sailing” this huge boat is environmentally friendly. it uses its hull like sail to travel by wind and when there is no wind it travels by liquidised natural gas.

7. In the how it works magazine I found a car that can drive under water although it’s a bit on the costly side as it costs a whopping £1.2 million ($2 million) it can go up to 75 mph underwater and it doesn’t produce any carbon emissions.

8. I think in the future the paint on the car will turn into different colours and certain colours for emergencies. This paint will be made out off chromatophores* cells, nano LED’S and chameleon skin. These will change the colour because the nerves of the chameleon will be linked up to the engines.

*Chromatophores are an type of squid that have light reflecting cells (the picture are the cells of a Chromatophore ).

• Let me know when you’ve invented this please, Nathan!

9. In the future it seems like EVERYTHING will be run by technology and the internet, cars is one of the main probabilities. The main idea is coming from the internet, how cars will be able to predict traffic using the internet and data from other cars(like cars talking to each other), very useful for business people who are in a hurry. Collision detectors will also be a big help, sensing when nearby cars are close with laser technology and using others cars’ data. Car crashes and serious accidents will be a thing of the past. There is already a prototype, the LUTZ pathfinder driverless car. Created by Zipabout, this car could be a major breakthrough in technology.
    Flying cars are also being talked about, they will need to be light and safe. They may be classed as normal planes depending on there design, driving one will probably require a plane licence. The cars will also be quite expensive and may require some kind of safety equipment. The AeroMobil 3.0 is one of the prototypes that has been made, but one of the main concerns apart from safety is having to land in a safe area. At airports it may delay and cause accidents, which won’t help the company’s car. Also having to update and fix rules according to the cars will be a problem.
    As you can see, the future for cars stretches far, but there is still work to be done until we can achieve them.

• Great research, Kip & Riccardo – these new inventions will have lots of new problems we will need to address – mainly to with safety it appears?

10. In the how it works magazine I found an underwater car and a solar powered plane My idea is a train that goes through a glass tunnel that has no air so the trains go faster. To stop crashes they all leave at the same time and go at the same speed.

• William, could you explain more abut how they all go at the same time but there’s no deadlock please? How is the routing problem solved?

11. I think that planes will have retractable wings, and there will be a animated livery pattern on the body of it. This will be purely solar powered, because it is sunny above the clouds. There will be some very strong infra-red sensors on the front to make radio signals stronger. The black box also have retractable wings and whenever the destination for the plane is set at the beginning of the flight, it will also know the route to get there, so if there is a crash, it will fly to the destination or nearest land. An alternative, is to use the infra-red sensors to send the information to a remote “black box” maybe at the destination airport. They will run on reclaimed oil, or plastic. I would encourage the latter. It will travel very very fast, 200 miles per hour. The air traffic control will use the infra-red to then boost the signal to the plain, and create an almost “4g” experience. Bill boards in the airport will be solar powered or material based- fuel, like recycled plastic. Humans will still pilot the plane, and all of the technical “easers” if they malfunction, then there is an alternate control for everything. An alternative fuel, is solar power. Toyota have made a i-Road which is like a merging of a motorbike and a car. The battery is lithium ion. It combines the feature of the motor bike, such as speed, with the controls and looks of a car. It has a steering wheel and a pedal. It looks similar to the smart car which is the tiny car.

• Lots of great information and ideas here, Shahzeb. well done!I’m glad you addressed the issue of the continuing need for human pilots. What are the environmental emissions like from reclaimed plastic, compared to current aeroplane fuel?