Powerful Pedometers

Have you ever wondered how pedometers work? Pedometers are great gadgets to use when counting your steps. Here’s how it works:

” Every time you walk, your body tilts to one side and you swing a leg forward. Then your body tilts the other way and you swing the other leg forward too. Each tilt of the hips and shift of the legs is a step. Assuming each step is pretty much the same length, all we need to do is count the number of steps we make in a day, by counting the number of times our body tilts from side to side. We can then multiply the number of steps by the length of each one to figure out the overall distance walked. This is pretty much how a pedometer works.”

Have a look at this website to find out more:  http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-pedometers-work.html 

By Priya & Riya

2 thoughts on “Powerful Pedometers

1. Thanks Shahzeb for the feedback. Riya asked Nicola how pedometers work and so she said to do a post about it so we did! I get really confused between a taptic engine and a haptic engine. That’s a good question to ask.

2. I really like this post, Priya and Riya! I have honestly never understood how a pedometer works, especially on a phone or mobile device, and it seems easier to code than I thought! I wonder if it uses a haptic engine? Just because Tim told me that Apple watch’s taptic engine, is made to be like a haptic engine, which Must be similar to taptical workings!