In school, we have been discussing the use of Social Gaming apps, such as Roblox and Musical.ly.
The Children’s Commissioner has produced a report about the impact of these apps on children. It’s called “Life in Likes”.
I wondered if you would have a think about what younger children and their parents or carers should know about these apps before using them. Some things to think about:
- Is the content suitable for all ages – violence, behaviour etc? If not, can parents limit what you see within the app?
- Who can contact children playing the game?
- Who can see any content you create and is it “sensitive” eg videos, photos, personal information?
- Is there an incentive to accept invites from people you don’t know? eg could you earn points or money from doing so?
- Are there in-app purchases?
- How do you sign up? Does your parent have any control over your account?
- What data does the app collect about you & what can it do with this data? Can it sell it? Does it delete it when you leave? Who has access to it? Does it own your data, photos etc?
- Do you play games that make you feel hyper-excited or might stop you from sleeping? Is this a site you should use before school or before bedtime?
Can you think of any other risks of using these sites?
Why would you recommend the apps to others:
- Do you think it’s a safe space to explore/ make friends? Why?
- What do you learn from using the site – is there anything educational?
- Is it a really exciting place to be and why?
How would you improve the app?
Thanks for your help!