Here are the photos that the official IBM photographer took – I have uploaded them to MyDrive for you if your parents want better quality copies. The originals are slightly bigger eg you can see Katie’s face in the group one, and they are much better resolution for printing.
“When the annual school science fair comes round, Mr Cartwright’s class don’t get to work on the Soap Factory, the Maggot Farm or the Exploding Custard Tins. To their intense disgust they get the Flour Babies – sweet little six-pound bags of flour that must be cared for at all times.”
If you could add a Micro:Bit to your Flour Baby (or Doll, or Teddy…)
- what would you program it to do? We are talking looking after it here, not dancing etc!)
- what would the algorithm be?
Thanks everyone for my lovely cards and presents, I will miss you all so much! Here’s my very clever Scratch from the Robos (I love that L does a cheeky little dance!) x
The Wildfowl and Wetland Trust is concerned about Whitefronted Geese and wants to analyse their behaviour. It has fitted some with their own fitbit or micro:bit for birds containing an accelerometer and fine tuned it to the birds’ movements.
While it can count the number of steps a goose takes, it does much more. It can tell from the bird’s movements how it is grazing – whether it is grazing the surface or digging down deeper. It shows us when the goose is alert with its head up and can tell when she is at the nest and how long her incubation lasts.
From Nicola – How would you code this?
The Wimbledon Tennis Championships start next month. Is anyone interested in watching the tennis? Do you play tennis? Have you ever thought about the following:
- What is Hawk-Eye & how do you think it works? Which other sports use this technology? Can you think of a use for it outside of sport?
- How do you think serve speed is measured? Can you find out what was the fastest serve speed at last year’s Wimbledon Tennis Championships? What else can you think of that travels at a similar speed?
- Have you noticed the use of other technologies in sports? Can you let me know which and find out how they work?
What’s her name?
So, what challenges did you come across today?
How did you solve them?
Does your programming now work accurately enough?
Where will you attach your Micro:bit to your body and how will you do this?
How will you make it look attractive?
Is there a way to store a daily total and a cumulative total? ( I don’t know!)
The Polka has some really interesting activities over the half term holidays. Merton Park children went to see Error 404 a few years ago and we thought it was an excellent and thought-provoking play. Digiplay & Random Selfies also look very exciting. Let me know if you go?